27 February 2010

New Horizons

Part of me thinks that this was a ridiculously long week and part of me can't believe it's already Saturday.

I semi-started my new job this week. Wednesday and Friday I spent time at our TLP working with my caseload. I think I am really going to enjoy being a case manager. I've already had the opportunity to take a young woman to her OBGYN and go over goal plans with some of my kids. Two of my kids were drug tested on Friday but I didn't get to be a part of that. I'm pretty sure neither will pass, which means they'll be on their way out the door (this is the second time around for them). I hope they have changed but I never get my hopes up too much.

One thing about the job that may be difficult for me at first is that some of these kids are older than I am. One in particular said, "Just give me some time to get used to you being my case manager. It's weird. I mean, you could be my little sister, after all."

I guess it's not that weird of a thing, but it's going to be a slight challenge.

Leaving the outreach center is mostly a good thing. There are a few kids I'm going to miss but I'm really really ready for this change of scenery. I am not even the slightest bit sad.

Anywho, this weekend I'm being lazy because the last few weeks have been ridiculous. I'm so tired and I'm pretty sick as well with a cough and runny nose. I think my sister is coming to town later to see Shutter Island....but for now, I'm going to take a nap.

2 comments:

j and s (but mainly s) said...

don't let them know you are younger! i was younger than several of my clients when i started working... and youre right, its awkward!

S said...

i started volunteering with this organization a year and a half ago and no one told me not to say my age...so by the time i started working, they all knew how old i was.

however, i have ideas as how to confuse them and i'm definitely not telling any of my new clients.