29 March 2010

Proud Mama

I feel like I should change the title of this.
But I won't.

Okay, so I don't work at the outreach center anymore, right? I work at the TLP now. But I am at the outreach center at least once a week (more like two to five times) to check in, say hi, get stuff, kick somebody's butt, whatever.

Today I went there and worked with two of my clients on enrolling in college. (Can I just say that today I actually helped THREE of my clients enroll in college? ISN'T THAT AWESOME?!) While I was working with them, I was bouncing around, saying hi to a bunch of kids I love and being happy and being proud of my children.

So, back up about two months. It's Friday night and this young man comes in the door. I know this boy well and he's a big punk. I say that in a very loving way. He's all about smoking pot/doing other "fun" drugs and "makin bank."--which he's not. He comes in and tells me that he is going to be officially homeless (i.e. changing from couch surfing to actually sleeping on the street corner homeless) in a few days and he doesn't know what to do. Blah blah blah we start talking about going to treatment and he says... well... I'll...think...about...it...
I have no faith, and I tell him that, but I ask him to think about it. A few days later he's getting in a van and going to treatment and calling me every day and telling me how it is. SO PROUD.

Well, he leaves treatment early because he's tired of it and he comes back. I kind of wanted to kick him in the face, but I didn't. I just told him I loved him and I would support him whatever he does with his life. I kept encouraging him to get into a TLP...so ours doesn't have any openings, so I told him about one in another city. He said...well...I'll...think...about...it...



So today I go to the center and I see this young man playing pool so I go say hi. And all of a sudden he's telling me that he's getting on a Greyhound bus in a few hours to go to this other TLP that I told him about several weeks ago. SOOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD!


A lot of my kids are making big strides. A lot of them are doing great things for themselves.

I can't even tell you how proud of them I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're twenty years old? And your job makes you seem so much older than that. I have SO much more respect for you now than I did five minutes ago. I could never picture myself having that much patience and grace towards teenagers. You are definitely in my prayers that God will just pour into you every time you're pouring yourself out.

Tabitha Beaman said...

Wow, Sienna. That is so cool. I can feel your pride emanating through this post.